Texas to Mexico

Discriptions, pictures, recipes & monologue of life for a Texan in Mexico. The Mexico experience...

Thursday, February 15, 2007

Fork bending Pot Roast, a Valentines Day surprise.

In an area of Mexico known for the big cattle ranches & well aged beef, I am never sure what cut of meat I am buying. I know a lady here who is the daughter of a butcher from the states & she actually took a chart with the meat cuts illustrated to a butcher here! The NorteƱos are very proud of the ranches & cattle industry which plays such a large part in the economy here in Northern Mexico. I made a Pot Roast for St. Valentines Day dinner. After cooking it all day I removed it & let it rest on the cutting board then put a fork into is so I could slice the meat. The fork I put into the meat actually bent in half from the toughness of the "roast". I don't buy many roasts here since the cuts are so unusual & different from what we are used to in the states. It does explain the popularity & variety of stewed meat dishes in Mexico. Possibly Tacos, Carne Guisada or Picadillo would have been the route to take with my beef! We have had good luck with steak here but larger cuts can sometimes be a case of mystery meat! Unfortunately for the fork we will never know...considering, it could have been worse! My knife survived the experience.

3 Comments:

Blogger Nancy Durant said...

Do you think the farmacia is next to the Taco joint for a reason? Mucho mystery meat sends customers over to the farmacia for medicine to relieve their belly aches!

3:43 AM  
Blogger Dee said...

ha, ha! You always make me laugh! Keep it up, mi amiga!

3:51 AM  
Blogger Hornsfan said...

i've always told you roast isn't good for you! the mexican butcher just proved it for me!

4:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home