Texas to Mexico

Discriptions, pictures, recipes & monologue of life for a Texan in Mexico. The Mexico experience...

Saturday, February 03, 2007

Confused & asking WHY in Mexico!

In a country with so much culture & natural beauty I have to constantly ask the proverbial question....WHY???? I have run into many situations that make me scratch my head & wonder what are they thinking~the powers that be in Mexico? One of the busiest intersections in nearby Gomes Palacio has 6 lanes of east/west traffic that converge at the same point & then to make things interesting some civil engineer thought the situation called for a large X intersection to cris-cross that entire intersection with 4 more lanes of traffic. If I make myself clear on this: it is absolutely insane to drive through that intersection on any given Saturday or Sunday. Crazier yet is the fact that people there in the roadway are also begging for money & offering to wash car windows even though there are signs warning against this practice. I have told John that I will never drive through this chaotic intersection!!!
This past week once again I did ask: WHY? Wednesday evening a man came to my door asking if I called for repairs for our television cable; no amount of repairs could make the cable service improved or carry better programing though. I had to bite my tongue & not complain to the gentleman who simply needed directions. Sad but very true is the fact that television in Latin American basically is horrible! I told the technician that I had not called but he certainly must check with the other #39 on Paseo Nogales! In my neighborhood but certainly not restricted to Las Isabeles there is more than one house #39 on my very street! Three hours after I told the man to go to the other #39 Paseo Nogales he returned telling me he was very confused & still had not located the house to which I finally had to tell him~welcome to my world! The whole thing is stranger still if you know our street only has about 12 houses on it! I still have no idea why anyone would put 2 of the same house numbers on the very same street but I try to not let it stress me too much unless we are missing a delivery of some sort.
*One funny note on Mexican television came this week when my cousin asked me if we were able to see the show "Ugly Betty". I had to tell her no, we have the Mexico version called..."Fea"~Spanish for Ugly!!! So, no Ugly Betty here in Torreon, just Fea!!! (Samantha, I am still laughing!) I could never make this stuff up, it would be too hard! Just another "WHY??" in Mexico.

6 Comments:

Blogger Hornsfan said...

the first time dad drove me through this intersection i wanted to close my eyes, that way i wouldn't have to see traffic running towards me! it's one scary place!

8:47 PM  
Blogger Dee said...

si, muy mal!

6:37 AM  
Blogger Nancy said...

that is just plain crazy to have 2 #39s on one street. I think that someplace...Japan? they number buildings or house by when they are built. So they don't go in numerical order. Did I make that up. did I dream that? Who knows!

12:31 PM  
Blogger Dee said...

No, I doubt you dreamed it but believe me some days I feel like I have got to be dreamin here!

3:36 PM  
Blogger ClaudiaH said...

That does take the city planning booby prize!

7:37 PM  
Blogger Dee said...

I think there are alot of those prizes to hand out here in Mexico!

8:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home