Texas to Mexico

Discriptions, pictures, recipes & monologue of life for a Texan in Mexico. The Mexico experience...

Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Today while we were in downtown Torreon in the historic center I had an opportunity to see the inside of one of Torreon's best known churches, Templo de Nuestra de Guadalupe. While not breath taking I can see why it listed as a historic sight.

The Templo Nuestra de Guadalupe has a lovely if simple interior painted in a shade of pale turquoise that is prevalant in Virgen de Guadalupe paintings. The alter has a very elegant painting of her with quite abit of gold leafing surrounding the Virgen. The alter itself looks like it is made of mahogany & the sanctuary has chandeliers, beautiful stained glass & marble columns. Outside the church I was able to find a couple of beautiful Milagritos. In Mexico the Milagros are sold outside of the churches & are often times resold over & over since the churches fill up with them & the priests then give them to the poor to resell. One can never really tell how old they are or how long they have been in circulation. I guess this is part of the Milagro or Miracle!

3 Comments:

Blogger Nancy said...

Very beautiful and I have to say the chandeliers are splendid! Will you bring one back for me to put up in my dining room? Hermoso! or is it hermosa? Quien sabe?

6:16 PM  
Blogger Dee said...

Si,Muy Hermosa

6:26 PM  
Blogger Hornsfan said...

I agre with Nancy, the church has a beautiful interior.

6:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home