Texas to Mexico

Discriptions, pictures, recipes & monologue of life for a Texan in Mexico. The Mexico experience...

Tuesday, February 06, 2007

After leaving the Mercado we saw a beautiful old Theater building sitting vacant. The exterior is very "Gaudi~esque" but is in need of renovation. I was able to step into the lobby & see the old pale yellow vintage ticket windows, worn tile floors & gentile curving stairways leading up into the old Theater balconies. Torreon is attempting renovation & renewal in the historic center; one can only hope this building will be given new life one day. It makes me sad to see such long forgotten beauty sitting in a state of urban decline for who knows how long. This old Deco era building is seemingly ignored by most of the people who pass by it on their way to wherever in downtown Torreon. I saw a man selling tee shirts in front of the lobby doors & he seemed very unimpressed that anyone would care to look in the lobby much less snap a photo. I don't think he could envision restoring the past. I was just one more person moving past him on a busy Tuesday in Torreon.

2 Comments:

Blogger Hornsfan said...

I love the pics, the market is the one I tried to get Dad to stop at...he didn't seem to find it nearly as cool as I did!

5:59 AM  
Blogger Dee said...

I'll take you there!

6:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home