Texas to Mexico

Discriptions, pictures, recipes & monologue of life for a Texan in Mexico. The Mexico experience...

Thursday, March 29, 2007

Jerry Jeff Walker said it best: "I love that Sangria Wine..." I am sure he should have mentioned how well it goes down on a warm Spring day in Mexico!


Torreon Circle of friends has live auctions from time to time to help raise money for a local orphanage. The Ex Pat women of Torreon either give generously from things they have aquired along the way or donate baked items, etc. I took a Texas Ruby Red Grapefruit pie~yummy...which seemed to be a good choice for auction (I did have to remind people that it was made by a Texan!!!!!) But for anyone who knows me & my love of Fostoria glassware I flipped out when I saw the large stack of Fostoria Americana dishes sitting there ready to be auctioned off! I of course jumped right up & grabbed those plates! My friend Caroline took home a vast amount of hand painted El Palomar Mexican pottery. I did however win one useful auction item: a Spanish couse on CD, certain to have me speaking better in "Ten Minutes"!!! (let us hope) All in all a fun time was had by all & there was even delicious Sangria wine being served! And, even south of the border when you are drinking Sangria what baby boomer isn't thinking Jerry Jeff Walker? While Sangria isn't anything new down here my favorite glassware is. Fostoria is as rare here as Shar-Pei puppies!!!

And of course "Flat Stanley" was there bidding the prices up~all for a good cause though! Last thing I heard, he was leaving with some baked goods & Mexican pottery he purchased:) One more Mexican experience for "Flat Stanley", how does he do it all?



"Yeah I love that Sangria wine

Just like I love old friends of mine

They tell the truth when they're mixed with the wine

That's why I blend in the lemons and limes"
Texas' own: Jerry Jeff Walker


Recipe for Spanish Sangria
1 cup apple juice
1/3 cup Triple Sec
1/4 cup sugar
2 cans of Fresca
3 blood oranges, cut into 1/4 inch slices
2 limes, cut into 1/4 inch slices
1 Peach, cut into cubes
1 Apple, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 bottle red wine (not too expensive or cheap~you be the judge)

Combine all ingredients in a large pitcher; stir until sugar dissolves. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight. Add ice & serve. Yield: 6 servings. YUMMY!

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Hornsfan said...

why am i not surprised that both flat stanley and fostria recieved prominent feature in the day?

4:30 PM  
Blogger Nancy Durant said...

I admit it! I am in love with Flat Stanley! He seems to be everywhere I want to be. Can I have a flat stan man of my own??? It looks like he can be easily reproduced, verdad? Copy him and I will color him in!
How much was the Fostoria?

7:16 PM  
Blogger Dee said...

Everything all totaled was 200 ps. Muy cheapo. Also, I got some great shampoo I will try & send you a Flat Stanley! Tomorrow we are taking Flat Stanley on a decorating job!! He out to be a hit!

7:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home