Texas to Mexico

Discriptions, pictures, recipes & monologue of life for a Texan in Mexico. The Mexico experience...

Sunday, September 24, 2006


Herbs in Mexico.

There are herbs that increase love, decrease gas, settle the digestive tract,ward off evil & calm a baby with colic. I don't know that I believe in all of the folklore that goes along with some of the plants. Trips to the nursery find me returning with herbs I plant in pots around the patio. My favorite here is Cilantro. While I don't grow it because it is very cheap in the stores this place is a real herbal melting pot with what is used in la cocina!

Cilantro is plentiful & mere pesos in Mexico so I have been making a family favorite which is a recipe my mother passed on to me. I will continue making all of my salad dressings here. Long gone the days of Wish Bone & Seven Seas Salad dressings. And Ranch dressing, I can't imagine what they would call it here! I miss the days when I could go to an aisle in the grocery store & see rows of different brands & flavors. Here with fewer choices I just have to be more inventive.

Cilantro Dressing
1/3 c. lightly packed cilantro with stems
3Tbsp white wine vinegar
3 cloves garlic
1/2c oil
1 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp salt,
1/2 tsp sugar
2 Tbsp mayonaise
Mix in blender till smoothe...makes 1 cup

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Nancy said...

I LOVE cilantro! Yum, it makes everything taste so FRESH!
But, I love you more, I just wish I could grow you in a little planter on my patio!
Miss you dear friend!

7:48 PM  
Blogger Dee said...

!Me gusta Cilantro, con todo comida!
Yo estoy triste, yo estsoy aqui....
sin amigas en Round Rock:(
Perder mi chicas!

8:43 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Lo siento! Ojala gue se mejore pronto!

7:19 AM  
Blogger Lourdes said...

OK, enough of the espanol! Let's not forget about the dumb Irish chick who only knows hola, adios, compuesto (only when following the word queso of course)...and so on...you get the picture! I'll try your recipe this weekend for sure...looks yummy!

7:02 PM  
Blogger Dee said...

Do try the recipe it is wonderful! *also current information given to me by a local said that cilantro is an aphrodisiac, this may account for the large families. Hmmm!

11:18 AM  
Blogger Lauren said...

Again, great photo but even better dressing!

6:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home