Texas to Mexico

Discriptions, pictures, recipes & monologue of life for a Texan in Mexico. The Mexico experience...

Sunday, September 24, 2006


Herbs in Mexico.

There are herbs that increase love, decrease gas, settle the digestive tract,ward off evil & calm a baby with colic. I don't know that I believe in all of the folklore that goes along with some of the plants. Trips to the nursery find me returning with herbs I plant in pots around the patio. My favorite here is Cilantro. While I don't grow it because it is very cheap in the stores this place is a real herbal melting pot with what is used in la cocina!

Cilantro is plentiful & mere pesos in Mexico so I have been making a family favorite which is a recipe my mother passed on to me. I will continue making all of my salad dressings here. Long gone the days of Wish Bone & Seven Seas Salad dressings. And Ranch dressing, I can't imagine what they would call it here! I miss the days when I could go to an aisle in the grocery store & see rows of different brands & flavors. Here with fewer choices I just have to be more inventive.

Cilantro Dressing
1/3 c. lightly packed cilantro with stems
3Tbsp white wine vinegar
3 cloves garlic
1/2c oil
1 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp salt,
1/2 tsp sugar
2 Tbsp mayonaise
Mix in blender till smoothe...makes 1 cup

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Nancy said...

I LOVE cilantro! Yum, it makes everything taste so FRESH!
But, I love you more, I just wish I could grow you in a little planter on my patio!
Miss you dear friend!

7:48 PM  
Blogger Dee said...

!Me gusta Cilantro, con todo comida!
Yo estoy triste, yo estsoy aqui....
sin amigas en Round Rock:(
Perder mi chicas!

8:43 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Lo siento! Ojala gue se mejore pronto!

7:19 AM  
Blogger Dee said...

Do try the recipe it is wonderful! *also current information given to me by a local said that cilantro is an aphrodisiac, this may account for the large families. Hmmm!

11:18 AM  
Blogger Hornsfan said...

Again, great photo but even better dressing!

6:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home